Dedicated to the birth of Ioannou Prodromos (June 24th), it is the Holy Monastery of Ioannou Prodromos or Monastery of Vellianis, as otherwise called from the village of Velliani, which existed west and close to it until 1850. It is essentially among the settlements Chrysus ( Velliani) and precursor (Vehanikon), Mount Gorilla. Although it is not absolutely constituted, it is supported by Ioannis Lambridis, a permanently reliable scholar, that the monastery was built in 738 AD. The inscription, however, at the threshold of the beautiful gate of today’s Catholic (Church) of the Monastery “, Ie 1630 (world of world 7.138 – year zarl 5,508 = 1630). As is the case in other respective cases, this inscription refers to the renovation and not initial construction of the monastery. Besides, several sources say that in 1611 in the monasteries destroyed as retaliation in the revolution against the Turks, which was launched by the village of Hocy, Metropolitan Dionysios the philosopher is also that particular. Its Katholikon was renovated in 1838 by the abbot era of Leontor. ). The Monastery had a beneficial presence in the region, but he paid expensive price at the Revolution of Epirus, after being called by the Turks on 9 March 1854. He belongs to Pagania Monastery as Metochi. IAS 7828 / 7-5-1965 – Government Gazette 404 / B / 6-7-1965 has been declared a historical listing monument (Directorate of National Memorial Archives (DEMAM) of the Ministry of Culture and Sport. 2001)
It is clear that its history is long and important. The Monastery, having significant property in estates beyond the joy of an idyllic landscape, offered a lot in the surrounding area, e.g. He funded the schools of its communities during the Ottoman domination (“Bikkas, MG”, in D. Souli, 2021), but also in the years of triple possession, its assistance was important, as there were many agonists and especially the civilian population of the area. Her first Katholikon was a small Byzantine church, south and a few meters after her Igourneion, while today’s katholikos, Jeromonalos Leontios built. It was a large dimensional, rectangular, three-aisled temple with frescoes on the dome and the arch of the apse. “The St. Step was divided by the main temple with a wooden iconostasis. This iconostasis was built in 1898 with money that came from the rental of its olive grove. The Catholic had two ports: the central (west). And the small (south), built up many years ago. ” Its two imperials are distinguished by impressive Lithanaki boar and birds performances. “The old Igourneion of the Monastery was two-storey with underground spaces, which were used for warehouses. On the first floor there was the galley, equipped with all household utensils, the bank and the small guesthouse, while the second cells for the abbot and monks are on the second floor. When exactly built is unknown. Known is that in 1809 it was completely damaged. In 1843 he was reexamine. In 1854, after being fired, it was renovated next year 1855. Today there is a scattered, witnessed old glorious era. ” ). The modern Igourneion of the Monastery was built in 1967 on a metropolitan of fairythia, Mr. Titus, with expenses once again came from renting the Olive Rent of the Monastery, but never inhabited. It is worth noting that in the external buildings there is a liotrivi with its integer its mechanism until today, while there were large areas with lillows that covered the needs of monks in olives and oil. Each year, until 2009, on June 24, each year, a day of Memorial Memory of St. John of Prodromos, residents and priests of precursor villages, Vellianian and Catering, as well as other believers participated in the Divine Liturgy that took place there, followed by Clajle, dances and songs. Unfortunately because of the poor state of the church this custom tends to disappear. The heirlooms of the monastery have been transported, the forest and the olive grove have been looted and only abandoned buildings still stand to remind the glory of another era.