This is the capital of Thesprotia, from the establishment of the administrative unity in 1936 until today. It has about 10,000 inhabitants and is one of the largest ports in the country. According to Kickos, Igoumenitsa [Goumenitsa or Goumenitsa] came from the neighboring area of Goumanis or Gouumeni, when residents of the settlement or established there were nomads, they moved there. The population and herd growth in Gouganis led many, mainly farmers to shares in today’s Igoumenitsa, who then was a rich uninhabited pasture. Consequently, to keep the links with their origins, they named the new settlement with the reputation of the first. Suggested activities:
• Visit the Archaeological Museum of the area.
• Visit Rena’s House, to get to know the cultural, folklore traditions and the arts of the region
• Quite the places that can be visited by bicycle in the area. Guests can also rent • It is worth noting that the Mediterranean route – 8 of Eurovelo route, passes through Igoumenitsa • “head to the small forest in the city center. You will get through the market where you can shop fresh fruits and vegetables. In the heart of the forest at the top of the hill there are the ruins of a medieval castle overlooking the Bay of Igoumenitsa. ” • Visit the Roman Manor in Ladochori Igoumenitsa
• Visit the fortified settlement of Lygia that extends to the eastern half of the homonymous Hersonissos
• Visit Windmill Ruins in Gritochori
• Swim on the beautiful beaches of the area.
• At the entrance of the Bay of Igoumenitsa Visit, taking a caique of Pefka Agionissi and the Katholikon of the Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi, Share of the Monastery of Thesprotia, hosted there. • Large Carnival Events Made in Igoumenitsa, you will miss them?